0

Meghan Markle Says Denying Education To Girls Is ‘Robbing’ Society Of Cultural Richness

Posted on

KEY POINTS

  • Meghan Markle says educating girls opens the door for “societal success”
  • Markle and Prince Harry joined Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai for a video call on International Day of the Girl Child
  • Prince Harry shared that educating young girls can also help address climate change

Meghan Markle recently delivered an important message, saying that denying education to girls is like “robbing” the society of its cultural richness.

Markle and husband Prince Harry recently joined Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai on a video call and discussed how education plays an important role in the lives of young girls on International Day of the Girl Child, which was observed Sunday.

“When young girls have access to education, everyone wins and everyone succeeds. It just opens the door for societal success at the highest level. It’s not just robbing society of the cultural richness that comes with educating young girls. It’s also robbing these young girls of childhood,” Markle said during the call.

Markle also noted that the dynamics of the community are “shifted” when women take over and talk about important topics such as policy change and legislation.

“What I had realized very early on was that when women have a seat at the table, conversations in terms of policy change, conversations in terms of legislation and the dynamics of the community are all shifted. And when you have to see how you get a woman to embrace her voice, you have to start with where she is a young girl,” Markle said.

Prince Harry also opened how educating girls can also help in tackling climate change.

“The importance of girls’ education to help defer climate change is absolutely critical. So much is at stake when we don’t give a young woman the opportunity to learn and to

0

Astronomers find x-rays lingering years after landmark neutron star collision

Posted on

UMD astronomers find x-rays lingering years after landmark neutron star collision
Researchers have continuously monitored the radiation emanating from the first (and so far only) cosmic event detected in both gravitational waves and the entire spectrum of light. The neutron star collision detected on August 17, 2017, is seen in this image emanating from galaxy NGC 4993. New analysis provides possible explanations for X-rays that continued to radiate from the collision long after other radiation had faded and way past model predictions. Credit: E. Troja

It’s been three years since the landmark detection of a neutron star merger from gravitational waves. And since that day, an international team of researchers led by University of Maryland astronomer Eleonora Troja has been continuously monitoring the subsequent radiation emissions to provide the most complete picture of such an event.


Their analysis provides possible explanations for X-rays that continued to radiate from the collision long after models predicted they would stop. The study also reveals that current models of neutron stars and compact body collisions are missing important information. The research was published on October 12, 2020, in the journal Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.

“We are entering a new phase in our understanding of neutron stars,” said Troja, an associate research scientist in UMD’s Department of Astronomy and lead author of the paper. “We really don’t know what to expect from this point forward, because all our models were predicting no X-rays and we were surprised to see them 1,000 days after the collision event was detected. It may take years to find out the answer to what is going on, but our research opens the door to many possibilities.

The neutron star merger that Troja’s team studied—GW170817—was first identified from gravitational waves detected by the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory and its counterpart Virgo on August 17, 2017. Within hours, telescopes

0

Nobel Prize in Economics awarded to Paul Milgrom and Robert Wilson of Stanford University

Posted on

“Their discoveries have benefited sellers, buyers and taxpayers around the world,” the prize committee said.

The men were honored for theoretical insights into developing the best rules for bidding and for establishing the final price. The resulting improvements in auction formats have proven especially useful in auctioning off goods and services that are difficult to price using traditional methods, such as radio frequencies, the committee said.

Wilson, 83, was cited for theoretical research that explored “the winner’s curse” in auctions of goods that ultimately had the same value to all potential buyers, such as minerals in a specific geographic area. He developed a theory explaining the tendency of successful bidders to place bids lower than their own estimate of the item’s value to themselves or other buyers, because they feared paying too much.

Milgrom, 72, drew the nod for developing a more general theory of auctions involving values that vary between bidders. After analyzing bidding strategies in several popular auctions, he showed the best format to be one in which bidders learn more about each other’s estimated values during bidding.

Auctions are embedded throughout the modern economy. Art houses use them to sell paintings and antiquities. Search engines rely on them to dispose of advertising space. And public authorities offer airport landings slots and mineral rights via auctions.

Global financial markets also operate on their principles.

Asked by reporters about his own use of auctions, Wilson mentioned that he had recently purchased a pair of ski boots on eBay. “It’s something you encounter a lot,” he said.

The prize committee said that Milgrom and Wilson had invented new formats for simultaneously auctioning off many interrelated objects for societal benefit rather than maximal revenue. In 1994, the U.S. government first used their insights to auction off radio frequencies to telecommunications companies.

0

College Football Stars Putting Up Absurd Numbers in 2020 | Bleacher Report

Posted on

0 of 14

    John Raoux/Associated Press

    Several weeks into the college football season, the stars of 2020 are separating themselves from the rest of the pack, just like the championship contenders.

    With the Big Ten and Pac-12 set to join the fray soon, other big names will begin to surge to the top of the stat sheets. But for now, it’s an early season dominated by SEC, Big 12 and ACC playmakers.

    In some cases, like for Clemson quarterback and Heisman Trophy front-runner Trevor Lawrence, it’s expected. Other surprises are playing their way into superstardom, and some elite players are still having big seasons for teams off to subpar starts.

    A few sets of teammates are on here, too, but that’s just the way the stats are shaking out so far this season.

    With eligibility essentially out the door this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it’s going to be exciting to see which guys play their way into the top end of the conversation for the NFL draft. For others, it’s about building their reputation on the college gridiron. Plenty of guys on this list have national championship hopes remaining this year, as well.

    Let’s take a look at some college football stars putting up ridiculous numbers in the early season.

1 of 14

    L.G. Patterson/Associated Press

    Georgia is the nation’s top defensive unit, full of difference-making playmakers who don’t pile up the stats but just embarrass opponents in the box scores. Alabama has a slew of former elite prospects all over its defense. LSU and Florida are off to awful starts but are known as mass producers of defensive talent.

    But the best defensive player in the SEC hails from unheralded Missouri.

    That would be hard-hitting linebacker Nick Bolton, who was a first-team All-SEC selection a year ago

0

Nigeria’s Ogenyi Onazi looks to get his career ‘out of reverse gear’

Posted on

Nigeria's Ogenyi Onazi
Nigeria’s Ogenyi Onazi accepted a cut in his wages to join Danish Superliga club SønderjyskE

Danish Superliga club SønderjyskE has offered Nigeria international midfielder Ogenyi Onazi a new way forward after a four year spell in Turkey blighted by injury.

Injuries have seen Onazi’s career look like it has been thrown into reverse – moving from Lazio in Italy’s Serie A to Turkish sides Trabzonspor and then Denizlispor and now onto Denmark..

Despite the issues the 27-year-old remains philosophical about things and believes the Danish club are the ideal platform to revive his career.

“Injuries are inevitable because it’s something that happens a lot in football, but it’s not been fair to me,” Onazi, who has just signed a one year deal, told BBC Sport Africa.

“At the most important time in my career is when it happens to me and I have no proper explanation for this.”

Onazi was tipped as next big thing when he first shot to limelight at Italian side Lazio before breaking into his country’s senior side by winning the African Cup of Nations in 2013 and playing at the 2014 World Cup.

But his brilliant run in Brazil was ended by a late tackle from Blaise Matuidi during France’s win over the Super Eagles in the round of 16.

It started a litany of injuries in his career and came to the fore when he ruptured his achilles at Turkish side Trabzonspor in December 2016.

What followed were four fraught years as he attempted to find a way back from the Achilles injury that became the bane of his existence.

Taking a pay cut

His career has never been the same and revealed the nightmare including muscle and calf problems has made him “more hungry and determined to do well”.

“Coming from where it

1 66 67 68 69 70 355