called

0

Amy Coney Barrett’s fellow faculty members at the University of Notre Dame called on her to delay her nomination until after the election

Posted on



Joanna Bator looking at the camera: Supreme Court nominee Judge Amy Coney Barrett testifies before the Senate Judiciary Committee on the second day of her Supreme Court confirmation hearing on Capitol Hill on October 13, 2020 in Washington, DC. Samuel Corum/Getty Images


© Samuel Corum/Getty Images
Supreme Court nominee Judge Amy Coney Barrett testifies before the Senate Judiciary Committee on the second day of her Supreme Court confirmation hearing on Capitol Hill on October 13, 2020 in Washington, DC. Samuel Corum/Getty Images

  • A group of faculty members at the University of Notre have called on Judge Amy Coney Barrett, President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, to for “halt” her nomination till after the November election. 
  • Barrett’s co-workers said while her confirmation is assured, it comes at a polarized time in the country. 
  • Confirmation hearings began this week in the Senate. 
  • Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

Faculty members at the University of Notre Dame called on judge Amy Coney Barrett, Judge Amy Coney Barrett, President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, to “halt” her nomination till after the November election, in an open letter. 

“We congratulate you on your nomination to the United States Supreme Court. An appointment to the Court is the crowning achievement of a legal career and speaks to the commitments you have made throughout your life. And while we are not pundits, from what we read your confirmation is all but assured,” the letter read.

“That is why it is vital that you issue a public statement calling for a halt to your nomination process until after the November presidential election,” the letter continued.

Barrett was nominated by Trump to fill the seat of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg who died last month. 

After Ginsburg’s death, Congressional Democrats denounced the idea of nominating and confirming a new justice until after the November elections, arguing that the seat should remain empty until a new president is elected.

Following the death of Justice Antonin Scalia in February 2016, Senate Republicans refused to hold hearings for a nominee chosen

0

Mini moon called 2020 SO to orbit Earth may be NASA Surveyor 2 rocket

Posted on

CLOSE

One cosmic rock a half-mile wide could change our planet forever, unless we spot it well-ahead of time.

USA TODAY

An asteroid likely to get caught in Earth’s orbit and become a “mini moon” for several months may in fact not be an asteroid at all.

Dubbed 2020 SO, the object is on track to be pulled into Earth’s orbit in the coming weeks and circle the planet until it returns to its own track.

But instead of being space rock, experts think it is actually part of a rocket from a failed moon-landing mission in 1966.

“I’m pretty jazzed about this,” Paul Chodas, director of the Center for Near-Earth Object Studies at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, told The Associated Press. “It’s been a hobby of mine to find one of these and draw such a link, and I’ve been doing it for decades now.”

Mini moons – objects that temporarily orbit Earth – are rare. While more have likely occurred over history, only two have been confirmed: one from 2006 to 2007 and another discovered earlier this year that was in orbit from 2018 to 2020, according to space and astronomy news outlet Universe Today.

While those mini moons were space rocks, 2020 SO has a few characteristics that make scientists skeptical.

Its orbit is nearly a circle, similar to Earth’s, and is not tilted, on the same plane as Earth. The object is also moving much slower than scientists would expect a similar asteroid to move.

“The velocity seems to be a big one,” space archaeologist Alice Gorman of Flinders University in Australia told science news outlet ScienceAlert. “What I’m seeing is that it’s just moving too slowly, which reflects its initial velocity. That’s essentially a big giveaway.”

The object was discovered by a telescope in Hawaii

0

U decisionmakers called ‘tone-deaf’ for thinking outdoor track doesn’t need indoor season

Posted on

 

Nearly 20 former and current Gophers athletes sat for hours Friday at the McNamara Alumni Center, waiting to hear the final decision on sports cuts from the Board of Regents.

Among the athletes were a handful representing track and field, who learned early in the meeting that men’s outdoor track would be saved as part of an amended resolution. But eventually, the regents voted 7-5 to eliminate men’s indoor track after this school year, along with men’s gymnastics and men’s tennis.

Based on the immediate buzz, it seemed far from a victory for Gophers men’s track.

“Obviously, it’s pretty shocking and pretty new for us just as an idea,” senior distance runner Jordan MacIntosh said. “Because what is track without indoor? That’s half our sport. Thinking that you can recruit just as well with an outdoor program and no indoor program is pretty naive.”

Athletic director Mark Coyle, who first announced the proposed sports cuts Sept. 10, said Friday’s new resolution sprouted from “ongoing conversations” with the regents.

While at least one regent called it a compromise, MacIntosh reiterated what many of his men’s track teammates told him, that the U decisionmakers “really don’t understand the sport.”

“That shows with their new proposal,” he said.

Among Big Ten men’s programs, the Gophers will join two other schools that don’t offer the standard trio of cross-country, indoor track and outdoor track. Maryland has outdoor track only, and Northwestern has none of the three on the men’s side.

There are an estimated 20 Division I schools in the country that have men’s cross-country and only have men’s outdoor track. In the Pac-12, Oregon State and Utah don’t have men’s track and field, while Southern California has only indoor track on the men’s side.

“These have been difficult, difficult decisions,” Coyle said on

0

Georgia State-Charlotte was called off because of coronavirus tests. It was really human error.

Posted on

“These were our first positive test results in three weeks among our athletics programs, which since April have experienced a positivity rate of 1.7 percent,” Georgia State Athletic Director Charlie Cobb said in a school-issued statement. “Out of an abundance of caution for the rest of our team and Charlotte, we could not in good conscience put our team on the bus and play a game.

“As part of our protocols, we tested the individuals again Friday afternoon and were informed by our lab Friday night that none tested positive. They also retested the swabs from Thursday and all tested negative as well. It was at this point that the lab director informed our medical staff that a human error Friday morning caused the error in test results.”

Georgia State tests its football players for coronavirus on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, and the school said the first two rounds of testing last week produced zero positive tests. The team will return to practice Monday in preparation for Saturday’s game against East Carolina.

It’s unclear whether the Georgia State-Charlotte game will be made up, as the teams do not share an open weekend until December. The 49ers, who have played one game this season, now have had games called off on consecutive weekends after their Sept. 19 game against North Carolina was canceled following a number of positive coronavirus tests among Charlotte’s offensive line. The 49ers are scheduled to visit Florida Atlantic on Saturday.

Source Article